Sunday, June 27, 2010

Full Moon Over Kilimanjaro

Full Moon Over Kilimanjaro

One of the most amazing things I have done with Mr. X this month is to awake in the cold pre-dawn camp lovingly referred to by many trekkers as Campi ya Kanzi, one of the world’s best places to escape everything…. The camp is romantically situated in the crater of Mount Kilimanjaro. Awaking to a mist shrouded rose colored dawn I looked for Mr. X --- only to find him cooking breakfast for us over hot coals…that gleamed in the breaking rays of sunshine like the shafts of gold in his glacier blue eyes. After breakfast he asked me if I was up for a stroll in the mountains with him -- how could I resist ! He hoisted a daypack of goodies across his wide shoulders and we headed out into the cool mountain air for a day of discovery.

As we strolled along, hand in hand, we talked of life and love and the changing tide of feelings and emotions. Although we have drifted apart, he will always be in my heart and I treasure the time we spend together. This day was particularly grand.

We took our time reaching the summit of this glorious asteroid- sized mountain – with views that endure a lifetime. Mr. X packed a fabulous dinner and we dined on a variety hot curries, rice and finished off the feast with my favorite -- chai masala. I snuggled into the fur coat that CD gave me as a good luck gift for my mountain ramble. Ah CD I made it --- to the very pinnacle --- in style bursting with happiness and the sweet taste of success – and chai masala!

That night, the moon, was like a great white opalescent compass -- a beautiful silvery orb that showed brilliantly as we descended the mountain to return to camp….tired and fulfilled.

No comments: